Table of content
Bluetooth headphones have started to become more popular lately. Allowing you to listen to music without having to be connected to your device is a great option. It provides you with quality as well, but when you're driving it's important to think carefully. Should you wear headphones of any type while driving? What about if you're a trucker? Well, we've taken a look at some things you should consider.
Is it Safe to Wear Bluetooth Headphones When Driving?
Wearing headphones is a questionable event when it comes to driving. Many people will tell you that it's not safe at all, while others will tell you it's not a big deal. Wearing headphones can take you away from the moment. It can make it difficult to hear things that happen around you. It can also distract you from other drivers. Understanding the safety of driving with headphones is difficult. Let's break it down a little.
On the pro side, Bluetooth headphones are less distracting than traditional headphones. They're also less distracting than a phone in your hand. They allow you to tune in and out of the conversation while still paying attention to the road. They also make sure you have your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel. That definitely shows that they're a safer alternative. But are they actually"safe?" Well, that's difficult to say.
- Less distracting than regular headphones or phone
- Keep eyes and hands on the wheel
On the con side, headphones of any type can cause distraction. If you're listening to music or a phone call your full attention is not on driving. That means you are not giving the road, pedestrians, other drivers or potential hazards enough attention. Your risk of getting into an accident increases dramatically if you are distracted. Unfortunately, no matter how much you think you aren't, listening to something while driving is distracting. In fact, research has found that a radio or another person in your vehicle is distracting.
- Take attention from driving
- Risk of accidents increases
The truth is, we can't tell you one way or another about headphones while driving. It's going to be up to you to make a choice. Just make sure you pay attention to the road more than the phone. That person on the other end can repeat what they said. You won't get another chance to make a split second decision while driving.
Why Go Bluetooth Headsets for Truckers?
If you're going to wear headphones why would you want to go with Bluetooth? What's so special about Bluetooth? Well, these headphones have a number of great features. Just check them out for yourself here.
- Easy Connectivity - Bluetooth headphones connect easily to your devices. That means you don't have to worry about pairing. They connect and you can start listening just like that. Most devices have automatic Bluetooth pairing as well. That means you just turn on Bluetooth and it searches for devices. Then you can tell it to pair automatically. You'll never have to worry about syncing your headphones and phone again. That's definitely a simple way to do it.
- Clear Audio Makes Calls Comfortable - When you're talking to someone you want call clarity. With Bluetooth you get that kind of clarity. That makes it a lot easier to make a phone call and listen to it too. With some headsets you're going to have noise cancellation as well, which means you can get rid of some of the background noise for the person you're talking to or yourself. That makes the call even clearer and easier to understand.
- Hands-Free - You won't have to worry about holding onto your phone or device. You can set it down somewhere and still listen. This helps you stay a lot safer when you're talking with anyone. Because your hands are still on the wheel you're in better control. After all, two hands on the wheel make sure you can react more quickly.
- Helps You Focus on Driving - With these headphones you aren't holding the device. That lets you focus on what you're doing better. You'll be able to pay attention to the road and keep both hands on the wheel. You get the control you need while getting that call out of the way. Overall, you're getting several bonuses all at the same time. Just be careful about how you use the headset.
- Reduces Accidents - Because you can keep both of your hands on the wheel you'll have better control. Having better control means you're less likely to get into an accident. You're paying better attention. This helps you to reduce the chance of getting into an accident. Because you're not looking at your phone also you're paying closer attention to what's around you. That means less chance of hitting someone or something. You have a better reaction time to everything around you.
- No Cord - You won't have to worry about a cord that gets in the way. A cord can tangle or get hooked on something. It can also be distracting to have that cord hanging down in front of you. Not to mention a set of corded headphones takes away a good share of your hearing. You won't be able to recognize things happening outside your vehicle. If you have no cord you can move more easily and still have the same quality.
- Low Level of Interference - It's unlikely that you'll have interference. These types of headphones use low power. That means you get less concern about losing the sound you want to hear. This is important if you're on the phone because you want to get the information you need and get back to driving. The faster you can do that the safer you will be. Having less interference means you can get that information quickly.
Tips for Truckers on Using Phones Safely
If you're looking for ways to use your phone while you're driving it's important to consider the options. If you are a trucker this can be even more of a problem. That's because you spend a lot of time driving and phone calls are still needed. Not everything you need to know can be discussed on the radio. So how can you make sure that you're going to be safe? Well, we've narrowed down a few things that you should take a look at.
Each of these tips will make it a little safer for you to use your phone. Even if you decide that you don't really want to use Bluetooth or that it doesn't work for you it's going to be possible to stay safe. With a standard phone there are different ideas, but no matter what, safety is first.
Use a Bluetooth Headset
If you really want to be safe a Bluetooth headset can be a great start. These headsets are generally inexpensive. They're also available in different styles. Even better, you just put it over your head and pair it to your device. You don't need to hold your phone in order to talk on it or listen to it. That means you have less distraction from driving and the road.
Pull Over Before Answering the Call
If you're not using Bluetooth (and even if you are) pulling over is a good idea. Even with the best tools it's distracting to talk on the phone when driving. Pulling over allows you to focus entirely on your call. If the call is very important this is even more crucial. The more distracted you are by the call the less you pay attention to your driving. That makes you a danger on the road. In fact, it makes you a danger to yourself and everyone else.
Never Send Texts or IM's While Driving
If you're driving then texting or IMing someone is an absolute no. Never do these tasks as they take even more attention from the road. Talking on the phone requires only speaking. If you're texting, however, that requires you to actually hold the phone to type. It also requires you to look at the phone to see what you're typing. All of that takes even more attention away from your driving. It becomes extremely dangerous.
Finish a Call or Text Conversation Prior to Driving
If you're already talking to someone on the phone or texting then make sure you finish it before you start driving. It's a simple thing to finish typing a text message. It's even easier to finish a phone call. By stopping before you start the car you're not distracted. Also, starting the driving process distracted can set you up even worse. The best thing is to sit where you are and just be a little slower getting off and running. It could save your life or the life of someone else. That's worth an extra few minutes.
If you're looking at Bluetooth headsets for truckers you want to find the right ones. You need to know what you should consider. Hopefully, now you know all of that and more. Take a look at each of these reasons to use Bluetooth headphones. Then take a look at how you can use your phone safer. When you're done, you'll have an idea of how Bluetooth is going to make a difference for you.